This Mexican Lasagna is a recipe I’ve been making since way before this blog ever came into being. It was one of the first posts I ever wrote, and that old photo proves how far things have come since then. It’s so painful for me to look at some of those old pictures. You probably already know which ones I’m talking about. But I use them as inspiration and hope that a few years from now I’ll still be improving, slowly but surely.
I thought it was time to update the original Mexican Lasagna post with not only a fresh photo, but with a few tweaks I’ve made over the years. Not that there was much room for improvement. It’s a heaping mixture of chicken, black beans, cheese, and spices. In my book it doesn’t get better than that. This recipe makes enough for 8 people, so we always have enough for two meals during the week. I don’t know about you but I love having a night off in the middle of the week.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Bring about 2 quarts of salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add chicken and cook until no longer pink inside (for me it’s about 10-12 minutes).
- Remove from water and let cool.
- While chicken is cooking, mix together black beans and next 8 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese and stir well.
- Shred chicken with two forks and add to black bean mixture.
- Stir well.
- Cut tortillas into 2″ wide strips.
- Lightly coat a 11×9 baking dish with butter to prevent sticking.
- Cover the bottom with half of the tortilla strips.
- Spread half of the black bean and chicken mixture over tortillas.
- Cover with another layer of tortillas, followed by another layer of the mixture. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 – 45 minutes, until bubbly and the cheese has melted completely.