I think most people are lukewarm when it comes to meatloaf. There probably aren’t many families who get fired up for meatloaf night. But those people don’t live in my house. Around here meatloaf night is a bit of a celebration. It’s all because of this meatloaf recipe, the same one I’ve been eating for as long as I can remember. This is the meatloaf my Mom always made and every time I eat it I love it more and more. For the record, that’s a lot of love built up over the years.
It’s not a fancy recipe, but that’s one of the reasons I love it so much. But the best part to me is that it’s gluten free. Yes, my Mom was making gluten free meatloaf waaay before it was cool. She didn’t mean to make it gluten free, she was just using what was on hand and inexpensive. But it was a stroke of genius in my book.
It’s really easy to throw this meal together on a weeknight. It’s also a great option for a make ahead meal. Just put it together and freeze until you’re ready to cook. I like to pop it into the refrigerator the night before so it can defrost. My seven year old helps out by measuring some of the ingredients and mixing everything together. It’s great, messy fun.
Gluten Free Meatloaf
An easy gluten free meatloaf recipe that everyone will love.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (use gluten free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup ketchup, plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1/4 cup onions, finely minced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place all ingredients (except the 2 Tablespoons of ketchup) in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together using your hands until well combined.
- Place ground beef mixture onto a baking sheet and form into a loaf shape, or place into a loaf pan.
- Spread the remaining ketchup on top of the loaf.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until meatloaf is cooked through and is no longer pink.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.