An easy recipe for gluten free meatloaf that uses simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. This meatloaf has been a favorite in my family for over forty years!
I think most people are lukewarm when it comes to meatloaf. There probably aren’t many families who get fired up for meatloaf night. Those people would be very confused in my house. Around here meatloaf night is a bit of a celebration. It’s all because of this meatloaf recipe, the same one I’ve been eating for as long as I can remember. This is the meatloaf my Mom always made and every time I eat it I love it more and more. For the record, that’s a lot of love built up over the years! Now my youngest is carrying on the meatloaf love. His favorite words to hear are “It’s meatloaf night”. He even has a Meatloaf Dance he does around the kitchen while it’s cooking so we get dinner and a show as a bonus.
My gluten free meatloaf isn’t a fancy recipe, but that’s one of the reasons I love it so much. The best part to me is that this amazingly simple, all American classic meatloaf recipe is gluten free. Yep, my Mom was making gluten free meatloaf waaayyyy back before it was cool. She didn’t mean to make it gluten free, in fact I’m fairly certain she had no idea what gluten free was when I was a kid. She was just using inexpensive ingredients that she had on hand to make a quick meal. The result is a little stroke of genius though that has made this meal a favorite for at least three generations now.
It’s really easy to throw this meal together on a weeknight. If you’re a fan of make ahead meals this is a great option for you. Just mix it together and freeze until you’re ready to cook. You’ll just need to remember to let it defrost in the refrigerator the night before you cook it.
When you’re mixing up this easy meatloaf recipe make sure to get the kids involved. My seven year old helps out by measuring some of the ingredients and mixing everything together. It’s great, messy fun!
Want more easy, gluten free dinner ideas and recipes? Just follow Our Family Eats on Pinterest!
An easy gluten free meatloaf recipe that everyone will love.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (use gluten free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup ketchup, plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1/4 cup onions, finely minced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place all ingredients (except the 2 Tablespoons of ketchup) in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together using your hands until well combined.
- Place ground beef mixture onto a baking sheet and form into a loaf shape, or place into a loaf pan.
- Spread the remaining ketchup on top of the loaf.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until meatloaf is cooked through and is no longer pink.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.
More Gluten Free Favorites from Our Family Eats:
20 Minute Tomato Basil Soup (Dairy Free, too!)