Tomorrow my brand new second grader gets on the bus for the first time this year. I’m excited for her but there is something quite heartbreaking about watching her go. But the sadness will quickly disappear once I realize what the start of the school year brings. I always said I would never be one of those moms who spends her days shuttling kids to and from practices and meetings yet here I am. It sneaks up on you until suddenly there aren’t enough nights in the week to do all of the activities they’re interested in.
If you find yourself in the same situation then you will want to bookmark this recipe for those nights when you’re too tired to think about dinner. This recipe for easy oven fajitas is a one pot wonder meal that even my pickiest eater loves. You just toss the chicken and veggies together with the seasonings and pop it into the oven. While it all cooks together you can heat up the tortillas, shred some cheese, and set out all your favorite fixin’s. I love meals like these because it’s a great time to get the kids involved in the kitchen. Let them gather up the salsa, sour cream, and all the serving pieces. This is a meal that lets you have a little fun in the kitchen.
We use corn tortillas to keep this meal gluten free. The leftovers are great the next day served over rice for lunch or a big fajita salad. You can substitute steak for the chicken, or for a vegetarian version you can use sliced mushrooms. Easy, peasy.
Easy Oven Fajitas
- 1 pound chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- corn tortillas
- cheddar cheese, grated
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken, peppers, onion, garlic, and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix spices together in a small bowl.
- Pour over the chicken mixture and stir to coat well.
- Spread the chicken mixture evenly into a 11×9 baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked completely through.
- Serve with warm tortillas and all the fixings.
An Our Family Eats original recipe