I’ve been on a comfort food kick lately. I think it must be the back to school rush and the ever so faint chill in the air making me crave heartier, gather-around-the-table food. If you’re feeling the same way then this citrus roasted chicken will hit the spot. I think it bridges the gap between summer salads and winter stews with all the right flavors. There’s something special about citrus, garlic, and herbs that brings out the best in chicken.
It couldn’t be easier to throw this together on a weeknight, or save it for a Sunday night when the whole family has time to sit down and enjoy it. You just need a little time to let it marinate then just pop it into a dish and let it roast until the chicken is brown and ever so crusty on the outside. I like to serve this with rice so I can get every last taste of the lemony garlic sauce.
This meal is gluten free, dairy free, low carb, and sugar free.
An easy and elegant Roasted Chicken recipe with beautiful bright citrus flavors
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 whole bone-in chicken, (about 3-4 pounds) cut into pieces
- 1 yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 2 lemons, sliced
- Whisk together olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, honey, parsley, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken pieces and onion slices in a large zip top bag.
- Add olive oil mixture to bag.
- Seal and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken and all liquid from the bag into a 9x11 baking dish in a single layer.
- Tuck lemon slices on top and under the chicken pieces.
- Bake for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Serve warm