When I’m craving family-style comfort food there is only one thing that will do. A piping hot dish of enchiladas is the kind of dinner I dream about. If you were to take a look through this site for enchilada recipes you would surely guess they’re my favorite. I have a few different recipes and I love them all. My all time favorite enchiladas are the traditional recipe that I made a few years ago. But I like to switch things up with Salsa Verde Enchiladas, especially in the summer time. Oh, and these Stacked Vegetable Enchiladas are my idea of a perfect meatless meal. See, if you want enchiladas you’ve come to the right place.
Now, I don’t know if I can say that enchiladas are my husband’s favorite food. I suppose he tolerates them as much as he does because it’s much easier to just eat the enchiladas than it is to try to talk me into making something else. You see, my husband is from western New York, where the Buffalo wing was born. I have no doubt that he’d eat Buffalo wings every single day if he had his wish. And there have been stretches where he’s done just that. His capacity for wings is truly a wondrous thing.
So what’s a family to do when she has a thing for enchiladas and he’s hooked on Buffalo wings? You got it – Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas. What could be better than that? I have to tell you these enchiladas were WAY better than I thought they’d be, and I thought they’d be pretty darn good. I wish you could have seen how happy we both were when we dug in. And I mean we really dug in – not a single bite was left.
I wanted these Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas to be easy enough to make on a weeknight so I kept the preparation simple and the ingredient list short. The hot sauce really gives this dish its flavor. I’d say the amount I listed below would be considered a Medium level. You can add or subtract a little to get it just right for your family.
Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3-4 chicken breasts (about 1 lb), cooked and shredded
- 1.5 cups colby jack cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place tomato sauce, tomato paste, Frank’s Hot Sauce, water, chili powder, and cumin in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Stir well to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread about ¼ cup of sauce in the bottom of an 11×9 casserole dish and set aside.
- Place shredded chicken in a large bowl.
- Cover chicken with about 1 cup of sauce and stir well.
- Heat tortillas for about 30 seconds in the microwave, or just until warm and pliable.
- Spoon approx. ¼ cup of chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll tortilla closed and place seam side down in the casserole dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 8-10 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with green onions.
- Serve warm.
an Our Family Eats original recipe