The week before the July 4th holiday is usually the time when everyone shares their best recipes for the grill. In the past I’ve shared a few party-worthy recipes for the grill that are perfect for the 4th. These Steak and Potato Kebabs will forever remain one of my favorites. And these Coffee Rubbed Cheeseburgers with Texas BBQ Sauce are always an unexpected hit of any cookout.
This year I decided to go in a different direction. This recipe isn’t for the grill, but you will love it for its simplicity and the brilliant way it can bring new life to the leftovers from your cookout. This BBQ Chicken Soup is ready in less then 30 minutes, full of healthy ingredients, and both gluten free and dairy free. You’ll love how easy it is to throw it together, especially if you have some leftover grilled chicken around. I love this soup for summer because it’s not heavy at all, but is still hearty enough for a meal. The sweet and tangy BBQ sauce gives it a flavor that is unmistakably summer.
Lately I’ve been trying to work a few soup nights into our dinner routine. Soups are not only easy but they are budget-friendly too. You can stretch leftovers into a full meal with just a few extra ingredients. It’s also a sneaky way to work a few extra vegetables into your meals. There are many vegetables that my kids won’t touch when you put the on their plate, but mix them into a bowl and serve it as soup and they will chow down.
So go ahead and file this recipe away not for the 4th, but for the day after. And many days after that. You’re sure to love it.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (such as Amy’s Organic)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or pot.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Stir in corn, shredded chicken breasts, chicken stock, BBQ sauce, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to simmer and let cook 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with cilantro sprinkled on top.
This recipe is gluten free and dairy free. Serve with tortilla chips if desired.