Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola Bars

PinExt Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola Bars

These gluten free, dairy free granola bars will become a favorite whether you have allergies in the family or not.  But if you are dealing with allergies, these granola bars will become your saving grace morning, noon, and night.  They have quickly become exactly that for my family.  Before we learned about our allergies we already had a tried and true granola bar recipe that has been very popular with plenty of other families as well.  I was worried that this new one wouldn’t be as loved by my kids and I’d end up having to beg them to please eat these things.  Those worries are gone because not only do the kids love them but so do John and I, along with the neighbors’ kids too.  And they’re even easier to make than the original version I used to make.  Score!

But the best things about this granola bar recipe is that it’s allergen free – no gluten, no wheat, no dairy, no eggs, no nuts, no soy – nothing.  That makes them a great choice for school and birthday parties.  There’s no worry about inadvertently making anyone sick, which is a big relief to Moms like me.

In this new version I used dried fruit – a mix of blueberries, cherries, and raspberries.  You can use any dried fruit you like, or you can substitute dairy free chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips if you’d like).  These granola bars freeze well too – just place them in a freezer bag and store flat.  They’re so easy to whip up you may want to make a double batch and freeze half for next week.

GF Granola Bars 063 Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola Bars

Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola Bars

makes 12 bars

2 cups gluten free oats
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup honey OR 1/2 cup raw agave nectar
1/2 cup organic coconut oil, plus 1 teaspoon for pan
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (gluten free)

1 cup dried fruit or chocolate chips (use gluten free/dairy free as needed)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Coat an 8×12 baking dish with 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil, then line with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a food processor mix together the oats, flax seed, sunflower seeds, coconut, salt, and cinnamon. Process for about 30 seconds, or until very finely chopped. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Place honey, coconut oil, and vanilla in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir until melted together, about 1 minute.

Pour honey mixture into the bowl with the oat mixture. Stir in the dried fruit or chocolate chips. Stir mixture well until coated well. If mixture seems too dry add 1 -2 more Tablespoons of honey or agave.

Spread mixture evenly into prepared baking dish pressing down firmly. I found a silicone spatula works well for this.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown on top and edges. Place on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes before cutting into bars. If the bars are too crumbly to cut, let cool a little longer before cutting.

Recipe adapted from Once a Month Mom, originally from Ina Garten & Smitten Kitchen

pf button Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola Bars
stumbleupon Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola Barspinterest Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola Barsshare save 171 16 Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola Bars

Comments

1. 2xtwinmom says:

My kids are not huge fans of coconut (the texture). Do you have suggestions for a substitute? Excited to try!

• Susan says:

Sure, just skip it and add more oats. My kids aren’t big fans either but after a turn in the food processor it’s ground so finely that they don’t even notice.

2. 2xtwinmom says:

great thanks! think i’ll try to keep it in then!

3. Meggan Havelka says:

This is such a helpful site! One thing though, many of your links to other articles and recipes no longer work…any suggestions for finding that information? Thanks very much!

4. Avalon76 says:

Can the coconut oil be substituted? If so, what are the recommendations?

• Susan says:

We love the sweet taste and the health benefits of coconut oil so it’s the only oil I’ve ever used for these. If you’d like to substitute for it I’d recommend something with a very neutral flavor and experiment until you’re happy with the results. Good luck!

5. brthomas says:

Excellent recipe! I use more flax and less oats in my homemade granola bars to get more omega-3s.

6. Stefanie says:

Are these chewy?

7. Saundra says:

Fyi, coconuts are a NUT so this is not a totally allergy free recipe. You might be able to substitute dates or figs for the coconut but you likely need to adjust the portion.

• Susan says:

Thanks for pointing that out – I’ll update that wording in the text.

• Michelle says:

there is actually a great debate about this. Coconuts are actually not commonly known as nuts. It’s a drupe. But for me, I’m allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and unfortunately coconut. So I’d need something instead of the coconut. But I am going to try these!

• Susan says:

Thanks for sharing that bit about the coconut – I’ve run into the same thing when researching the allergy info. To be safe for everyone I’d recommend just substituting extra GF oats for the coconut. You won’t miss a thing.

8. Natalie says:

Thank you soooo much for this recipe. I am on the Virgin doet and found out I have an egg, gluten, dairy and corn problem/allergy. Just taking those things out helped me lose 8lbs in 7days. (And I’m already a size 6. Pretty amazing! ) ..It’s been soo hard to find recipes that fit this new lifestyle. So thank you so much for this. I miss breakfast foods but hate hot oatmeal. This will be perfect for me! -Natalie Casados

9. Sweet Moses, I tried this recipe and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! It tastes JUST LIKE Mounds bars! Thanks so much! SO EASY!

10. Sarah says:

Do you think I could use maple syrup in place of honey/agave? I’ve made these a million times with honey – they’re fabulous!

11. Kirstin Enanoria says:

I didn’t have sunflower seeds so I subbed almond meal. Seems to have worked just fine!

12. ohhhhhh they would probably so be like a almond joy breakfast bar!!

13. I have made these 4 times this month alone I’m thinking these are now a staple in our house. They have evolved from yours I want lots of protein (per the kids nutritionist). I added 1/8c chia and 1/2c hemp protein/fiber powder to the mix and cut the sunflower seeds. On the top I sprinkle 1/8c chia and sesame seeds(for calcium). I also started useing half steel cut and half rolled oats. With the tweaks I get 12g fat and 8g protein and right at 300 calories so a realy good b/fast to keep the hungey monster away. One question do you press yours after they come out of the oven too? I can’t seem to get mine from being just a bit to crumbly.

• Susan says:

Those are great additions. I think that’s what’s so great about these bars, you can change them up so many ways. I’ve never needed to press them a second time, but the chia and hemp seeds you are using can soak up moisture so that may be why they are a bit crumbly.

14. Tara says:

Just a comment on these being totally safe. That is, only if you use peanut free ingredients, including dried fruit, coconut, chocolate chips and sunflower seeds. These are almost always made on shared equipment with peanuts and tree nuts. For someone that is severely allergic, even trace amounts are unacceptable. But I can’t wait to try these, it is hard indeed to find nut free store bought granola bars my kids will eat.

• Susan says:

Thank you for making that clear. I know what a serious issue this is and will be careful to use better language in the future. Hope you enjoy the granola bars – these are definitely a reader favorite.

1. [...] Gluten Free Dairy Free Granola Bars | Our Family Eats These gluten free, dairy free granola bars will become a favorite whether you have allergies in the family or not. But if you are dealing… [...]

Comments