Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce

PinExt Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce

I’ve got to tell you, it’s going to be hard for me to top the perfection of this meal.  With no description at all I knew I was going to love it from the name alone – Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce.  Wow, does that have my name written all over it.  To make it even more irresistible, from the time I removed the pot from it’s place in the cabinet to the time the dish was being plated for dinner was exactly fifteen minutes.

ingredients 003 300x200 Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce

Meals that are this simple and quick very often fall flat in my opinion.  There always seems to be something lacking – a missing ingredient or maybe the flavors didn’t have enough time to meld together.  But that’s not the case here at all.  It really does only take a few minutes of gently simmering to develop a deeply rich flavor.  This is the epitome of a comforting and satisfying dinner, and is the perfect match for the cooler, shorter days of fall.  The velvety cream sauce seems to gently warm you from the inside out.  Heavenly.  I’ll admit it took some convincing to get the kids to try a bite.  They’re not used to pasta that isn’t covered in red sauce.  But it only took one bite and they both went back for more.

pumpkin 002 300x199 Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce

Another reason to love this quick and elegant meal?  Pumpkin puree not only has amazing seasonal flavor, but in only a half cup serving there is 380% of the RDA of Vitamin A.  Pumpkin puree is high in Vitamin K, Vitamin E, Iron, Potassium, and Copper.  Pumpkin is also a powerful anti-inflammatory, which could help fend off several chronic diseases according to many prominent researchers.  All of this and it still costs about $2.00.  That my friends is what I call a super food.  Getting more of this little ingredient in our diet is definitely on my to-do list.

pasta 0011 300x199 Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce
Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce

serves 4

1 pound of your favorite pasta shape (use gluten free if necessary)

1 cup heavy cream

3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

16 fresh sage leaves, sliced thin then finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain well and return to pot.

Meanwhile, combine cream, pumpkin puree, Parmesan, sage, salt, and pepper in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.  Simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat and add butter.  Stir until melted.

Pour sauce over cooked pasta and stir to combine.  Serve immediately with additional Parmesan sprinkled on top.

recipe adapted from: Taste of Home magazine

pf button Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce
stumbleupon Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Saucepinterest Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauceshare save 171 16 Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce

Comments

1. Christina says:

I had some baking pumpkins I needed to use up so I used them with this recipe and my family loved it! I have sage in my garden and haven’t cooked much with it so it was nice to get to use that as well. I did go with half and half instead of the heavy whipping cream to make it a little lighter. I will definitely make this again!

2. DeeDee says:

In theory, I loved it. In real life, we didn’t care for the sage flavor. An acquired taste maybe?? Wondering what else could be added in place of the sage to compliment the pumpkin cream sauce…. Gonna play around with it some later in the week.
    I also used half & half.

• Susan says:

Sorry to hear the sage wasn’t a hit with you, it can be a little pungent Maybe try a small bit of rosemary if you’re more a fan of that flavor.

3. Misty says:

Recently stumbled upon your website and I really like it – layout, content, message, etc. This was the first recipe I tried and it was a hit with me, my husband and my 4-year old. Nice flavor combination and I love getting extra veggies into my son without any added effort. Thanks for the work you are doing here.

• Susan says:

Misty, thanks for the words of encouragement! You’ve stumbled onto my little secret – hiding veggies is the key to my success with my kids. Neither would ever eat pumpkin on it’s own, but love it in chocolate chip cookies or a creamy sauce.

4. Sarah says:

This was so good. I was looking for something to make for a quick dinner and I stumbled upon this. So glad I did! I didn’t have cream so I used while milk and butter. I also used ground sage because that is what I had on hand. I also added half a box of frozen spinach and a can of diced tomatoes. And served some chicken breasts on the side. My whole family LOVED it. Even when I told them it was pumpkin they were so excited. I have a 5 yr old, 2-almost 3 yr old and 13 month old and they all went back for more, as did my husband. This is a new family fave. Thank you so much for the great idea.

5. Sara says:

I want to make this recipe this weekend. Can you use dry sage instead of fresh? If so how much dried? Thank you. Love your site and recipes!!!

• Susan says:

Hi Sara, I’m not sure about substituting dried sage in this instance because I’ve only used fresh. This is a total guess, but I’d say to start by just adding a pinch or so – you can always add a little more if you want. Hope it works for you!

6. Sara says:

Thanks Susan. Will give it a try. Going to make this for lunch now. ;)

1. [...] Spotlight. Mini Spiced Pumpkin Bundt Cakes Pumpkin Bars with Kalua & Cream Frosting Pasta with Pumpkin Cream Sauce Pumpkin Whoopie Pies Roasted Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna Pumpkin Cookies with Chocolate Glaze [...]

2. [...] Pasta with pumpkin sage cream sauce [...]

3. [...] Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce combines my love of pumpkin with my love of cheese and is a must make on my fall to-do : ) A [...]

Comments