Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies

PinExt Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies

Breakfast cookies are always a big hit with my family.  I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they have the word cookie associated with them.  It just makes them seem so much better than plain old muffins.  These are chock full of one of my kids’ favorite ingredients – chocolate – which makes them totally powerless to resist them.  I use chocolate a lot, especially when I’m trying to hide a few healthier ingredients inside.  I decided a long time ago that the trade off was worth it.  I make several variations of these cookies, but this banana version is my personal favorite.  Whenever we have a banana or two that are on the verge of spoiling I peel and slice it, then freeze it.  That way I have an endless supply of bananas for baking.  Along with the bananas I add coconut oil (you can substitute butter if you’d like), Greek yogurt, old fashioned oats, and applesauce for a little nutritional punch to start off the day.  This is the perfect grab-and-go breakfast for those back to school mornings that are creeping up on us.

I love having these cookies around – they make an easy, healthy breakfast, but we end up reaching for these at snack time and after dinner too.  I always make sure to subtly roll my eyes and get a little huffy when the kids ask for these – if Max and Sophie ever knew that I actually want them to eat these cookies they’d get suspicious.  By acting like they’re getting away with something I ensure they’ll keep coming back for more.

I adapted my original recipe to be gluten free, and honestly I can’t tell the difference between the two.  I’ve included the original ingredients and the gluten free version so you can make the recipe the way you prefer.

Banana+breakfast+cookies Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies
Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies
makes 12 cookies
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (or use melted butter)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2/3 cup brown rice flour**
2/3 cup sweet sorghum flour**
1/4 cup old fashioned oats (use gluten free oats if avoiding gluten)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
8 ounces chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli – they’re chemical free)
**substitute 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour for the brown rice and sorghum flours if you aren’t gluten free.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Place bananas, vanilla, coconut oil (or butter), applesauce, and yogurt in a large bowl.  Stir to combine.  In another bowl add both flours, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder.  Stir with a whisk to combine.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well.  Add chocolate chips to mixture and gently stir to incorporate.
Drop cookies onto baking sheet using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, leaving 1″ between each.  Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until center is well set.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
pf button Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies
stumbleupon Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookiespinterest Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookiesshare save 171 16 Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies

Comments

1. Barillafab4.blogspot.com says:

sounds FANTASTIC..I will be making these for next weeks menu for sure & will link back here to share the recipe with friends :)

2. Lisa says:

SOUNDS YUMMY! Do you use Greek style yogurt for a reason or do you think any type of yogurt work, like soy so I can make this one dairy free?

3. Our Family Eats says:

Thanks BarillaFab4! Can't wait to see what you think!

Lisa – I use Greek yogurt because of the high protein content. I'm sure you could substitute with soy with very similar results. Please comment back with the results in case others are wondering the same thing. hope you enjoy them!

4. momma-lana says:

I love the well used baking sheet in your picture! Mine look like that too!

5. Our Family Eats says:

Sadly, that baking sheet isn't that old either! I'm pretty tough on them. You see I tried to camouflage it with the parchment paper. ;)

6. Lindsey says:

I am making the cookies right now and can't wait :-). I just wanted to make sure I am not missing something. In the ingredients it has yogurt and applesauce, but they aren't listed in the recipe. I added it in with the wet stuff, so hopefully I did everything right. I will definitely share how they turn out.

7. Our Family Eats says:

Lindsey – Thank you for telling me about the error! I've fixed it now. You did exactly the right thing in your version. I hope you enjoyed them!

8. andrea says:

I'm making these now with my daughter!! Didn't notice the first time I read the recipe, but there's no added sugar?!? Yeah!!! :)

9. Yon says:

Just wondering.. Have you used the ghirardelli cookie mixes? I've seen a few of the ghirardelli chocolates have some stuff in them… I forgot what chemical. I'm overseas and wanted to order them in a bulk online so I thought I'd ask you if you came across them. Do you buy their all natural line?

10. ebeth says:

My 4 year old this Sunday LOVES these breakfast cookies and gets so excited when I make them. I have made them 3 times since you first posted this recipe. I made them this morning with pear sauce because we are Feingold Stage 1 and can't have the applesauce right now. Delicious!

For storage, do you leave them out or do you refrigerate them? Even fully baked, they still seem very moist to me and I didn't know if that required refrigeration… thinking of the yogurt. Thanks!

11. Our Family Eats says:

I'm so glad to hear that Ebeth! Good question about storage. I'm not an expert on these things but I do leave mine out. I keep them in an airtight container on the counter. Not sure if that's correct or not, but I'm going to research it now that you bring it up. No need for any food borne illnesses for anyone!

12. Kim says:

Help! I could only find “instant” or “quick” oats in the grocery store and didn’t think they were the same as the “old fashioned” oats. So I got steel cut oats instead (they were the only thing that didn’t say instant or flavoured). But now that I look at those, I’m not sure they are right either. I am not familiar with oats, so I don’t know what, if anything, can be substituted for old fashioned?

• Susan says:

Kim, not to worry. Steel cut oats are just fine to use, some might say even better. Steel cut oats are a less processed version of rolled oats, so they have more fiber and keep you feeling fuller longer. Nothing wrong with that. The only difference in cooking is that they take longer than old fashioned. So to speed things along in this recipe I’d suggest soaking them in a bowl with plenty of water for about 4 hours, or overnight, to soften them up before baking. Old fashioned oats are sometimes just called rolled oats. You may be able to find them that way.

13. Food_lover158 says:

I am so excited to make these and try them out for a quick breakfast before school! I am always looking for quick yummy breakfasts since I like to get as much sleep as possible and I’m not a big breakfast person early in the morning. I don’t have bananas at the moment though so I was wondering if there was any way I could leave them out? Otherwise I’ll be making them tonight.

14. Food_lover158 says:

Ok thanks! I got bananas this time :)

15. Amy says:

Hi-I just made these and I’m not sure I did it right! Mine came out poofy looking. And quite soft although the middle was set. What should they be like? Are they harder like a cookie or a bit softer? Two things I did different was that I used all applesauce as I didn’t have the yogurt and I used olive oil sprayed foil as I didn’t have parchment. Would those things make a difference?

• Susan says:

It sounds like you’re on the right track. These are more of a muffin consistency, not crunchy. The applesauce might make them a bit poofier than usual though.

16. Courtney says:

Do you think these would freeze well? I need to start making a stash of freezer food so my husband and 21 month old can have healthy, tastey breakfasts when I’m at work. We love these, I make them all the time. But, I don’t have a ton of time to make a batch every few days, so making a few batches on a day I’m off would be great!

• Susan says:

Yes they freeze well. Let them defrost completely and if they seem a little soggy you can toast them for just a few minutes and they’ll be good as new. They are the perfect little breakfast, aren’t they?

17. I’m trying these tomorrow with steel cut oats, i will be soaking tonight as the sugestion said, and I hope to start makeing these for my daughters snacktime at school. Just talked to her and she said she has a adhd son that she DOESN’T medicate! the do diet regualation to control it! No wonder she was soooo good with my daughter last year, i’m so excited she has her again for her last year of pre-k!

• Susan says:

When you find a teacher who is familiar with ADHD and diet you have hit the JACKPOT. Congratulations! Hope they like the cookies.

• They worked great I also shared with my sisters girls (she has 2 step daughters, and her husband has custody. one has very sever adhd and they diet and medicate) the girl have loved your allergen free granola bars and these cookies (or as I call them muffin tops) and my sister has loved haveing a healthy b-fest for the girls.

1. [...] Pie Pancakes Chocolatey Banana Breakfast Cookies Cinnamon Raisin Muffins Easy Homemade Granola Bars Turkey Breakfast Sausage Homemade Granola (makes [...]

2. [...] kids will eat.  Just check out my breakfast section on the recipes page to see for yourself.  The Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies, Homemade Granola Bars, and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins have all become healthified family [...]

Comments