Easy Homemade Granola Bars

PinExt Easy Homemade Granola Bars

Since our household consists of two working parents and two young kids we are constantly grabbing something to eat as we head out the door.  I try to make sure that the choices we have in our house are the healthiest possible, but reading some of those labels can be a scary proposition.  Granola bars seem like a good choice, but there are so many additives and preservatives needed to make those types of foods shelf-stable that it makes my head swim.  And then there’s the unnecessarily high amount of sodium and sugar to take into account.
I’ve seen recipe after recipe for homemade granola bars and wanted to try making them myself for months.  When I stumbled across some wonderful locally harvested honey a few weeks ago at a nearby market I was finally inspired enough to give the granola bars a whirl.  Surprisingly everything I’d read about homemade granola bars was true – they really and truly are easy, and remarkably delicious.  It’s a super simple one bowl operation, just a few stirs, spread them out in the pan, then into the oven.  I’ve already made several batches of them – they’ve become a staple in our house.  They’re filled with such nutritious ingredients that I never say no when the kids ask for a second one.  I just pat myself on the back and hand it over to them.  Seriously, if you’d told me that I could get my children to beg for something I made from oats, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, and flaxseed meal I would have never, ever believed you.  But that’s exactly what happened.  And each time we polish off a batch of these my husband asks if I’m planning to make some more.  I love it!  And I love these bars!  Even if you don’t care about the nutritional value, you will love these addicting little bars.  You should make some soon!

granola+bars Easy Homemade Granola Bars
Easy Homemade Granola Bars
makes 12 bars
2 cups rolled oats (I use old fashioned oats)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flaxseed meal (such as Bob’s Red Mill)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour (I use King Arthur White Wheat Flour)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 – 3/4 cups honey**
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
optional – 1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit or nuts
**my honey is super flavorful so I just use 1/2 cup, but you may find you need 3/4 cup to get the sweetness you prefer.  If you use coconut oil then use the lesser amount of honey since the oil will give a bit of sweetness itself.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Generously grease a 9×13 metal baking pan.
Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Make a well in the center and add the liquid ingredients.  Mix well using your hands – this is great for kids who want to help.  (Note: I find that the mixture sticks to my hands less if I  coat them with a little bit of cooking spray first.)
Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan still using your hands.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until the bars begin to brown at the edges and pull away from the pan slightly.  Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then using a sharp knife cut into 12 bars.  Don’t let it cool completely or you won’t be able to cut them.  (If you find that yours cooled a little too much, don’t worry – you can just break them up into pieces instead.)
pf button Easy Homemade Granola Bars
stumbleupon Easy Homemade Granola Barspinterest Easy Homemade Granola Barsshare save 171 16 Easy Homemade Granola Bars

Comments

1. Nichole @ Barillafab4.blogspot.com says:

these are on my must try soon list..thanks for sharing :) I have a granola bar recipe from another blog I love too if you want to try that out – chocolate chips are involved ;) http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/2009/11/homemade-chewy-granola-bars.html

2. Our Family Eats says:

Those look great! I've been thinking about adding coconut to these but I think my kids might resist – maybe I'll make a batch just for me. Thanks!

3. Lisa says:

I have a dairy/egg allergic child so I made them substituting 1/4 applesauce for the egg and they had a nice slightly chewy texture and tasted great!

4. Kristin N says:

Just made these with my four year old and they turned out great. We added 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. :)

5. One of my friends introduced me to these and I’m SO glad she did! My family loves them so much. Thanks for sharing great recipes that are healthy, too. I also wanted to say hello as a neighbor in a nearby city and a fellow Alabama blogger!

6. These look tasty. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

7. Carla says:

Hi! I made these for the first time over the weekend and my entire family loves them!! Even my picky 4 year old gobbled them up. Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe!

8. Dusty says:

Oh hello, Bethy, lol! I’m the friend she mentions in her comment, and I’m just now getting around to tell you that my family is addicted to these granola bars! I’ve told everyone and their second cousin about this recipe and they’re a huge hit every time! Thank you so much for sharing. I’m a big fan of your blog!

9. Jamie says:

Hi! Great article. Thanks so much for posting. I want to try cooking like this and was wondering how long would the granola bars stay good for? Can I freeze them? I’m sort of new to cooking. Thanks!!

• Susan says:

Hi Jamie – I always get a little extra excited when someone tells me they are trying to cook more meals at home. Yay for you! These granola bars are perfect for someone new to cooking, they will build confidence in your abilities in no time. I usually have these bars hanging around for 5 or 6 days in an airtight container, and yes, they are totally freezable. Just stick them in a freezer bag or other airtight container.

10. Mina says:

Can I use steel cut oats?

11. Cassie says:

What do you think about using wheat bran instead of wheat germ? I am having a hard time finding wheat germ in my last two grocery store runs but have what bran already in the pantry…

• Susan says:

I say it’s a good bet! I’ve never tried it but my guess is the flavor and texture should be similar enough to give it a try. Let me know how it turns out!

12. Nikki says:

Any idea of the nutritional info on these?

• Susan says:

Hi Nikki, I don’t usually provide nutritional info, but there are lots of online calculators out there that are simple to use. Just Google Nutrition Calculator and you’ll find plenty to choose from.

13. Holly says:

do you think leaving out the brown sugar would matter?

1. [...] granola with yogurt and fruit (this recipe is incredibly good, my very favorite homemade granola; it’s easy and healthy and my kids love [...]

2. [...] Recipes: Homemade Granola Bars Homemade Granola Homemade LaraBar Bites Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins Cinnamon Raisin Muffins Make [...]

3. [...] exactly that for my family.  Before we learned about our allergies we already had a tried and true granola bar recipe that has been very popular with plenty of other families as well.  I was worried that this new one [...]

4. [...] breakfast section on the recipes page to see for yourself.  The Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies, Homemade Granola Bars, and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins have all become healthified family favorites.  Now after much [...]

Comments